Romans 12:1-2

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:1-2

Thursday, August 25, 2011

Zoo Visit

What kind of mama takes her kids to the zoo and doesn’t take a camera? A scattered one of course – I couldn’t find the camera! Later Hubby let me know where it was - in the carry-on I hadn’t unpacked from uh, almost two weeks ago.

Last Tuesday, a mere two days before school starting I asked the boys what they’d like to do – we were leaning towards visiting an animal sanctuary until finding out it was open only on weekends. I said “Let’s go to the zoo!” (I knew they both had coupons for free admission which didn’t hurt the case any). M. didn’t want to go, but once I said I’d go and just take L., he changed his mind. This was our end of the summer after all.

On the way there, I marveled at how spontaneous this was for me to do. They didn’t know what spontaneous meant! That’s probably my fault since it only happens with me once in a blue moon.

We leisurely looked around the zoo seeing what we wanted for as long as we wanted or didn’t. We saw the zoo this time in a much different way than any times before. Highlights to me were all the time we spent watching and laughing at different kinds of primates and the elephant presentation. L. even got sprayed by one of the elephants! Perfect for such a hot day (also thankful for all those “cooling stations”).

We all had such a good time and I so enjoyed being with my boys. I know a time is coming soon that spending an afternoon walking around a zoo with Mom might not be too fun! This “youth” thing is happening…just last night I went to the youth group’s beginning of the year prayer service with M. Mind you, I kept my distance. Near the end M. said “Mom, you’re the only parent here!” He insisted all the other parents were actually volunteers. I told him that no one would ever know who I was or that I stayed if he’d stop coming and making comments like that! Anyway, it was a wonderful service. I’m glad I stayed. I’m glad we went to the zoo. I know this is “normal” and we will make it through the teen years!

1 comment:

  1. I think that sometimes it's actually better to leave your camera at home because then you're just focused on them and not what pictures you should be taking. This coming from the Paparazzi Mama :)!!

    ReplyDelete

Would love for you to share. Thanks for being a part of Our Ordinary Life.