Romans 12:1-2

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:1-2

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Yesterday and Today

Yesterday I was sad when our family left after visiting for about 10 days. I was excited for the carpet installers to arrive with our new carpet. They stayed until it was all done - yay! (I just knew they were going to have to come back today and finish). I was excited to meet L's teacher, sad that my Dad asked me my name when we visited, and excited to watch M enjoy football so much (scrimmage #3). What a day!

When I was considering my up and down emotions of the day, I was reminded of Hebrews 13:7-8:

Appreciate your pastoral leaders who gave you the Word of God. Take a good look at the way they live, and let their faithfulness instruct you, as well as their truthfulness. There should be a consistency that runs through us all. For Jesus doesn't change—yesterday, today, tomorrow, he's always totally himself.

Now, it's okay for my emotions to flux, but I'm reminded to check my consistency. It's in Christ. The first part of the verse says to look at the way our pastoral leadership lives. Fitting as our Sr. Pastor celebrated 40 years in ministry this weekend. I haven't known him for long, but I can see that LP has lived a life of dependence on God, friendship, and laughter. So...in my sadness I can remember the fun we had during our family's visit. I can reach out in love to my Dad and tell him my name (and use my children's name whenever possible) and treasure the times he could remember. I can depend on God during all the exciting and sad times, knowing that Jesus doesn't change.


J on the new carpet. Boy do I have a lot to put back together in the house!
Today was the first day of school! M remembers his locker combo and schedule so all should go well. This is the first year the boys aren't together for first day photos. L. was just getting up and around when I was leaving with M and wasn't exactly dressed. When I dropped M. off he was so excited he left his lunch in the car. I handed it to the teacher on duty who called after M and handed him the lunch. BTW, I am super impressed with all the staff at this secondary school. Hubby went with us to take L to school. I'm so thankful he always makes a point to be there (and is able to) for this milestone. Now, although I have tons to do in the house so far I have shop vacced (how do you spell that???!) the car and garage (carpet strands) and am now blogging!
M wanted a picture with J, but the grass was wet.

L, first day of 4th grade

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for being a part of Our Ordinary Life.