Romans 12:1-2

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:1-2

Friday, February 10, 2012

Flashback Friday - Feb. 10

Last night we went to M’s induction to the National Junior Honor Society. Of course it got me thinking of all the things that led him there, especially his school experiences. Then I pondered why I have loved being in kindergarten so much the past six weeks. All this water coloring, singing, and such was all the things I did at home with my boys before they went to school and I love seeing other kids growing.

I don’t scrapbook or keep a journal other than here and when I did start blogging my boys were already in school. So, that got me thinking that I needed to record some of those every day “ordinary” experiences from when M & L were little. I will record them here, so one day when childhood is gone there will be record of what fun we had at home. I decided to start “Flashback Friday” where (almost) every Friday, I’ll reminisce.

We lived in Sedona, Arizona from when M was one until he was three and a year after L was born. While there we lived in three different townhouses. We left the first one for a better ‘deal”, but it turned out to be not so great and we were there only one month. Even though we were there a short time and I was extremely pregnant with L, I remember having so much fun playing. Most of M’s toys were downstairs underneath the stairs and since he had lots of wheeled toys, it was almost like a garage. We spent lots of time watching Thomas the Tank Engine and lots of time right outside the sliding glass doors playing ball on the grass or playing in the rocks. Sedona was a great place for toy dump trucks and backhoes. We also spent a lot of time walking in the neighborhood. To M’s delight this included a ride in the stroller by the fire station and to the grocery store. He loved when we went in for donuts! I was almost nine months pregnant, so I loved it to!

The end to that residence was quite traumatic. Hubby had to take the youth at church on a college visit and he had said if we got the townhouse packed first that I could go along. That was definitely incentive! After that visit and an 18 hour ride home I skipped church to sleep in (Hubby got two hours of sleep). Then M and I drove the rental van up the mountain to return it to the “big” city. I fastened M. into his car seat securely and took a nap before driving our own van back home. I know that’s terrible, but I almost fell asleep twice on the way up. God was watching out for us. By the time I made it home, Hubby and some men from church had already moved absolutely everything to our new place and had even started unpacking.

We were at that next place for a little over a year. I wonder if M remembers any of it.  (I had fully intended to post a picture from the "Wild Turkey" townhouse, but it's going to require a bit more digging.  I know there's at least one because I remember having pictures of M playing in the boxes we were using when we moved!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for being a part of Our Ordinary Life.