Romans 12:1-2

So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you. Romans 12:1-2

Friday, March 23, 2012

In the Freezer

Today is the last day of Spring Break and it has not been quite what I expected (another post on that to come later).  The two things we did plan/anticipate:  sleeping in and some "Once a Month Cooking".
I did some "true" once a month cooking (even used the cookbook by the same name) once in Albuquerque and once in Sedona.  It was wonderful to have meals prepared in the freezer, but the all day long process and aching back was not so wonderful and I wasn't looking forward to it.  At all.

My cookbook was ready and then I had the thought to check out the Internet.  It had after all, been quite a while since I had done this so surely more recipes were available.  And they are - recipe sites and blogs too!  The best part of all is that I've made this a five day process (and have two more to go) so I've made dinners for this week AND have some in the freezer ready to go.

In the freezer are:

Meat for sloppy joes
Crockpot Garlicky Brown Sugar Chicken
Asian Style Pork Roast
Lemonade Chicken
Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
Freezer French Toast (L loves breakfast and having this and the bagels wrapped individually in the freezer helps our mornings!)
Bacon, Egg & Cheese Bagels

For dinner this week we had Asian Pork Roast and I tried two new recipes:  Lime Chicken and Crockpot Beef.  I still have Goulash and Honey Dijon Chicken to make - one each for dinner and one each to go in the freezer.

The Pork Roast is the one I am sharing - photo and recipe (If you are interested in the others google them or leave a message).

I bought a four pound pork loin.  Broil on both sides (just browned - totally raw in middle).  Cut in half and put one in crockpot and one in gallon size freezer bag.

Meanwhile combine in a large bowl:
1 cup black bean garlic sauce (this mixture that can be purchased - I actually combined a can of undrained black beans and the equivalent of 3 cloves of garlic)
2 tsp beef broth powder (I actually forgot this and it was fine! -
2 cups frozen pepper strips (I used fresh)
1 onion sliced in strips
1 pound of frozen green beans

Stir well.  Put half of mixture in crockpot and half in freezer bag.  
For crockpot:  Cook on low for 10-12 hours.  The original recipe calls for taking out meat/veggies and thickening liquid (I did not do this).  Serve with rice.
For freezer bag:  freeze and when you're ready to have it THAW and put in crockpot, follow "for crockpot".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love for you to share. Thanks for being a part of Our Ordinary Life.